Steathily trying to avoid the humdrum of everyday life.

Monday, September 19, 2011

People Skills

I don't have people skills. However today I found out that I'm fantastic at pretending that I have people skills. While going door to door with my little sister to help fundraise for her school(she really just wants to sell enough stuff to get a tablet computer) I smiled politely at people, made small talk, agreed with everything that they wanted to tell me, and was general an outstanding person.

It was exhausting. We only walked around for an hour and a half, and I don't think I've ever talked to so many strangers in a row. I don't know how everyone else does it all day long. We can't all be faking it can we? Though it would be pretty hilarious if one day we all realize that everyone has been faking being happy and amiable. We would probably all just stand around feeling sheepish for a little while before realizing it was probably better that we didn't realize that everyone was faking. And such is the fate of the world.

 This guy realized what was going on in the middle of his acceptance speech and decided to end 
his speech with "fuck everyone, I got here on my own, no thanks to you idiots!"

Because while it may be tiring and irritating to be friendly to someone you don't know or don't want to know, no one wants to spend any time with someone who is a complete asshole from the moment the conversation begins.

It's days like this that I realize I don't want to go outside and run the risk of engaging a stranger in conversation. Even if that means my skin becomes bleached and pasty from the glow of my monitor. At least I won't get skin cancer. Probably.


No comments:

Post a Comment